X
Emergency Service Unit: (869) 469-9100 or (869) 662-5811 info@nevlec.com

Safety In and Around the Home

Danger Signs

  • Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breaker
  • Feeling a tingle when you touch an appliance or wiring
  • Discoloration of wall outlets
  • A burning smell or unusual odor coming from an appliance or wiring
  • Sizzling sound at wall switches or outlets
  • Flickering lights

Other

  • Use only weatherproof fixtures and RCD outlets with weatherproof covers for outdoor installations.
  • Never run outdoor extension cords across lawns for seasonal lighting displays or run any extension cord across driveways or traffic areas.
  • Never use electrical appliances outdoors in wet weather or when the ground or grass is wet, unless the appliance is specifically designed and labeled by an independent testing lab for such use.
  • Appliances used outdoors should be plugged into receptacles protected by a Residual Current Device.
  • If a fuse blows or a circuit breaker is tripped don’t just replace or reset it. Find out what caused the device to fail and correct the problem.
  • Never replace a fuse or circuit breaker with one that exceeds the amperage rating for a give circuit.
  • Never replace a fuse with a penny, hair pin, foil, etc. Replace it with a fuse of the same rating.
  • Keep electrical cords out of traffic paths and away from areas where children play. Maintain all electrical cords.
  • Replace any cord that is cracked, frayed, or otherwise damaged.
  • Never pinch an electrical cord against walls or furniture.
  • Do not run extension cords under carpets or across doorways.
  • Have a Licensed electrician replace old or damaged outlets with modern, three-wired, polarized outlet. Proper grounding is essential to minimize fire and shock hazards.
  • Plugs should match outlets. Three-pronged plugs require three-wired outlet or a properly grounded adapter.
  • Never cut off or bend the ground pin of a three-pronged plug. This ground connection protects you from severe shock caused by a faulty cord or malfunctioning appliance.
  • Never alter the wide prong of a polarized plug, this type of plug appear on most electronic based equipment, which if incorrectly powered can be damaged. To make it fit into an outdated outlet, have the outlet replaced and properly grounded.
  • Protect children from electrical shock by installing plastic safety inserts in unused outlets.